Thursday, February 21, 2008

Have a say in who governs us!

Thoughts on the upcoming general elections - ;-)

Elections - is something that I never really bothered with, call me an irresponsible Malaysian citizen - truthfully I didn’t really give a damn. I was young and foolish and I couldn’t vote so I didnt bother. Fast forward a few years, now that I’am working in one of the lines that practically put’s me at the forefront of all this mess they call the general elections , I’am slowly regretting my ignorance.

Words like ‘ seat ; no longer just means a place to sit, it now means electing someone responsible enough to voice out your concerns as a rakyat to the parliament . I know of parliamentary seats and state seats - of campaigns manifesto’s and what not. And I even went to my first political ceramah since 1998 (hint hint) .

I even talked to a few people who were ( should I use the past tense?) Since the parliament was dissolved about a week ago? Never mind- members of parliament.. Let me tell you - what an interesting bunch of people -- we’ve got in there voicing out our concerns. To tell you the truth , I have big concerns about the people we as the rakyat are putting in power.

Lets just say that recent events have really opened my eyes on what really is happening behind the scenes - and when everything went a little berserk in 1998 I still feel what I believed to be true was right. Everything I’ve witnessed to this day has confirmed something that I’ve suspected has been happening - propaganda’s can sometimes be rooted in truth. Sometimes it defeats the purpose of me trying to be objective because I cant believe some of the things that are said, opinions, suggestions issues.

This is my first time voting- the irony is I don’t think I could steal some time to go off to Shah Alam and vote when I really want to change the scene a bit. Kesian- and here I am all spirited on wanting to exercise my right, and my first time too (work commitments especially during this time have me glued to my chair at work endlessly keying in information and churning out stories)

So just a note to my fellow Malaysians, voters or non voters - exercise your right or maybe just familiarise yourself with the scene - have a say on who governs us. Take a look at the issues - there are certainly urgent issues that need to be addressed in this country , and by having more young voices out there, just maybe we would be able to affect change :-) and if you dont like what happens in the next four years -- change the scene again. Its healthy changes.

So what side of the fence I’am rooting for? If you’ve read between the lines carefully enough I think you’ll get a hint. Ha.

No comments: