Friday, February 10, 2012

There is nothing wrong with being modest :)

I actually understand now, I understand better than I did before about the ‘haya’ the arabic term for modesty and why Muslim women are encouraged to guard it.

In this fast moving modern word modesty is under-rated. While being the complete opposite of being modest is celebrated.

What’s so bad about being modest? What is so bad about wanting to keep certain things hidden from the public view to keep yourself guarded from fitna - loosely translated as mean gossip. Why do we have to conform to society’s ideas of modernity?

To be honest, I used to struggle with the concept of donning the hijab, I knew deep down in my heart that it was the right thing to do but I kept having arguments about it in my head, with my girlfriends, with guy-friends with family. I did not truly grasped the concept.

Being a girly-girl who loved fashion and make-up I used to think that the rules imposed upon me were stifling, not progressive and I felt the need to rebel.

I used to be the girl who couldn’t walk out of the house fully made up. I never bothered to wear tops that covered my butt even if I was wearing really tight jeans. I wore the hijab just to please the people close to me.

Several things have happened in my life that have brought me closer to my religion and I began to include changes in the way I dress and spoke.

Sometimes the old me peeks out now and then and I still have a terrible temper but I’m trying.

Saya rasa Allah macam nak bagi hidayah, takkan saya nak ignore. Terus rasa macam nak tulis entry ni.

People define  beauty in terms of aesthetics, and my religion advocates that true beauty lies in good character, being a good person.

Let me the first to say that it is difficult, of course it is. Being a woman you are inclined to want to dress up, and try out new hairstyles, show off your figure.

But is that all you want to be defined as? A shell?

But I understand now why we need to guard this to be modest to be simple, because when you dress up, wear thick makeup and show off your figure,

People will compliment you, people will talk about you, which is not necessarily a bad thing but sometimes the grapevine can and will get out of control.

You will feel a tad proud about your assets about your beauty you will become arrogant, proud ,conceited andcocky, you will forget that whatever Allah gave he can take back.

You will forget that ultimately in the bigger scale of things all this will fade and all that is left is your soul when death is near.

And that is why simplicity is the best, so that you do not forget, so that your feet stay firmly rooted to the ground and you can improve your relationship with the creator.

So I understand now. May Allah ease our journey and provide guidance for us always :) insyallah.





No comments: